Every week Roisin Peddle takes a look at the top ten stories making the headlines at Studenty.me through the week.
My limited imagination struggled with a title for this week’s Studenty Sunday, which covers stories ranging from chuggers in Dublin to kidnapping in Darfur. Well, as someone once said, “The easiest way to become popular is to leech off the popularity of others.” In that spirit, I present a meme-inspired Studenty Sunday!
1. *Sucess baby* 2012 looks to be another great year for gaming, and Darran Goggin previews five games he can’t wait for this year.
2. He’s Canadian and silvertongued, but he’ll be damned if he’s called Michael Buble. Cork’s Mark Roche introduces us to Michael Kaeshammer.
3. *fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu* Chuggers are back in the news for all the wrong reasons. These charity collectors can make walking down the streets of our cities and towns a pain. Simon Walsh takes a look at chuggers from both sides of the coin.
4. The Monkees’ Davy Jones passed away suddenly during the week. Katie Kelly pays tribute to the late Daydream Believer.
5. Ballyfermot College was lucky enough to receive a visit from top broadcaster Miriam O’Callaghan last week. Lisa Haskins reports.
6. One Direction have taken the pop world by storm, and they’ve also converted Ciara Treacy.
7. It’s over a week since an unofficial rag week caused chaos on Galway streets. We need to let it go, says Galway’s Katy Quinn.
8. London Fashion Week was, as always, one of the most glamorous events of the year. Ciara O’Doherty has exclusive pictures.
9. Aid worker Sharon Commins made the headlines worldwide when she was kidnapped by the Janjaweed militia in war-torn Darfur in 2009. She recently visited UL to talk about her experiences. James Bradshaw reports…
10. RTE’s documentary Knuckle was broadcast on Sunday last to rave reviews. HBO has picked up on the tale of bareknuckle boxing in the travelling community and plans to make it into a drama. Dara Folan wonders what happened to the good old days of Glenroe on a Sunday night.
Don’t forget to check out the latest podcast on Studenty. And in case you’re not meme’d out, Tom McCarthy has the top five memes of the week. And, last but not least, Studenty has a vacancy for a social media guru. Click here for more information.
Until next week, have a very Studenty Sunday!